On the north shore of Long Island, East Northport is an eight square-mile community to the Town of Huntington. The Matinecocks Indians used the clay from the Clay Pitts area for making cooking pots and plates. The first tract of land was purchased from Chief Asharoken in 1653 and was dedicated to farming.
The British occupied the area from 1776 until the end of the war in 1783. Patriot Major Jesse Brush used the area known as Bread and Cheese Hollow for his camp until he was captured in 1780.
Following the revolution, East Northport remained a farming community, producing potatoes, cabbages and cucumbers. In 1892 William Soper established the first pickle works and the last pickle works, Rothman's Pickle Works, closed in 1961.
East Norhtport came into being at the turn of the century when the Long Island Rail Road was extended to Port Jefferson and a second station was added to the town of Northport. People began to call the area around the new station East Northport, even though the community itself was south of Northport. East Northport was put on the map when the Northport VA Medical Center opened in 1928. After World War Two, the farmland was transformed into housing developments.
information can be found at the
Newsday LI History.com
site or in "East Northport - An Incomplete History'',
by Molly Schoen, published by the Rotary Club of East Northport.